Thursday 12 September 2013

Mam Tor Inversion


Well, you've all already seen MOST of the pictures from this trip... but not all. Rather than my usual way of showing you them, I thought I'd try out a little slideshow/video instead... I highly, highly (so really highly) recommend clicking the little full screen button - as the small version doesn't really do the scenery justice! 

Anyway, this was the trip I went camping just above Winnats Pass (having walked up via Cave Dale) and awoke to find my first Mam Tor inversion. I'd guessed it was coming just before I went to sleep as I could see the clouds getting lower and lower over towards Kinder Scout - and there was a sudden chill in the air as the cold air sank into the valley. I was, amazingly, the only person out that morning so had this popular spot all to myself... which made the whole experience even better. 

Oh, and not to forget that before the sun rose, I was stood simply admiring the view when the largest meteor I've ever seen flashed across the sky - you just couldn't make it up...



As usual, all the pictures are available on request, even if they're not already on my website at www.matrobinsonphoto.co.uk.

2 comments:

  1. An amazing view and set of photos Matt, the cloud inversion is much stronger than I have seen up on Mam Tor, am hopeful for another trip up there this autumn so will hope for the conditions you mentioned in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick, it's taken me a while to be there for one like that - always seems to happen when you go somewhere further away and you can see it frustratingly in the distant valley! Hope you have some luck with it and I'll keep an eye out on Flickr...

      Delete